At GRMC, our SANE (Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner) nurses specializes in forensic training for the care and treatment of sexual and domestic assault victims, while providing confidential comprehensive management and treatment for patients of all ages. The role of a SANE nurse is to perform forensic examinations, collect evidence, as well as educate and counsel victims of sexual and domestic assault. The SANE nurse is essential in connecting the patient with resources to help them begin the healing process. Our SANE team is proud to provide care and support to Seguin and the surrounding communities. While there is not 24/7 coverage of SANE services, the SANE team is willing to assist the patient in any way to facilitate services to meet their needs.
What to expect during the SANE exam:
- A GRMC SANE nurse will meet with the patient and explain all parts of the exam.
- A consent form for the patient will be signed to continue examination.
- The patient can choose to have a Victim Advocate present for support and services during any/all of the exam.
- We collect a Medical Forensic History, which is the patients recollection of events.
- Complete head-to-toe physical exam.
- Detailed ano-genital exam based on patient’s history.
- Photographic documentation of all injuries.
- Sexual Assault DNA Evidence Collection as needed, based on history and timing of the assault.
- Plan B is offered if needed and STD prophylaxis or treatment is offered.
- For treatment of physical or mental health emergencies, the GRMC emergency department is contacted.
- Discharge instructions will be provided to the patient with information for a follow-up appointment.
Meet the Team
Nicole Patek, MSN, RN, Executive Director of Emergency Services
Deborah Aponte, MSN, RN, CA/ CP-SANE, SANE Coordinator
Morgan Starr, BSN, RN, CA/CP-SANE