Back and spine pain is extremely common as we age, some pain even becoming chronic or debilitating. Pain can develop anywhere along your back, since your spine is designed to bend and twist, but it frequently occurs in the lower back, which supports the weight of your upper body.
At GRMC, we care for both pediatric and adult patients with congenital, degenerative, and traumatic spinal conditions with a conservative and thoughtful approach. Relief of pain and symptoms can be achieved without surgery, however if surgery is needed, it can be performed using minimally-invasive procedures.
Common causes of back pain include:
- Overuse and over activity
- Muscle or spinal injury
- Compression fractures
- Herniated disc
- Disc degeneration
- Spinal stenosis
Advantages of minimally invasive surgery:
- Shorter hospitalization
- Reduced pain and discomfort
- Faster recovery time and return to normal activities
- Smaller incisions, resulting in reduced risk of infection
- Reduced blood loss and transfusions
- Minimal scarring