Birthing Center Classes
GRMC’s Birthing Center is focused on mom and baby care throughout your pregnancy. The Birthing Center offers two educational classes; breastfeeding and childbirth. After speaking with your physician about signing up for a class, please contact GRMC’s Birthing Center at 830.401.7530. All Classes are held in the Conference Room next to our Cascades Café from.
All classes and support groups have been canceled until further notice.
Breastfeeding classes are a great way to learn and prepare to breastfeed your newborn. This class gives first time moms, as well as current moms an opportunity to ask questions and voice concerns regarding breastfeeding. Expectant mothers, new mommies and any other members of the support team are encouraged to attend since support is important with breastfeeding success.
Each breastfeeding class we will discuss:
- Breastfeeding basics: benefits, making breast milk (transitions, production cycle, etc.), and special situations
- Latching on/positioning (what effective and ineffective latch looks like and feeding in the first weeks
- Feedings: when, hunger signs, feeding guidelines, tummy size, and feeding a sleepy baby
- How much is enough, satiety signs, and when to call your doctor
- Breast care (engorgement, nipple care, etc.)
- Breastfeeding lifestyle: taking care of yourself, proper time to introduce bottles and pacifiers if applicable, returning to work, expressing milk, milk storage guidelines, and where to find support
GRMC is a great hospital for childbirth. In order to prepare for labor and birth, this class provides you with a forum to ask questions and learn about key issues surrounding your baby’s birth.
Some information you will learn from our birthing class includes:
- Healthy pregnancy developments
- Making pregnancy, labor, and delivery more comfortable
- Breathing and relaxation techniques
- Signs you are in labor
- Pain coping techniques
- Expectations for labor and delivery
- The labor partner/ coaching role