Guadalupe Regional Medical Center COVID-19 Update: May 13, 2020
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Director of Risk & Legal Affairs/Public Information Officer
Guadalupe Regional Medical Center
[Seguin, Texas] May 13, 2020 — The total of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Guadalupe County has risen to 99 including 77 recovered patients and 7 active cases in Seguin.
As we continue to practice social distancing to contain the COVID-19 pandemic there is a concern that people who have decided to stay home for their safety may not be obtaining ongoing medical care and/or medication for chronic conditions. Emergency waiver of certain regulations have opened up tele-medicine options that were not previously accepted by professional organizations and insurers. Please call your physician’s office to discuss options for getting the care you need during this time.
Should you require lab work, imaging studies, wound or inpatient care, GRMC is here for you. The organization is doing everything it can to maintain a safe and healing environment during this difficult time. You should know that the following practices are in place at our facility:
- Daily screening of staff, providers, and patients for fever, cough, and other symptoms associated with COVID-19.
- No visitors (with limited exceptions).
- Universal masking of patients and staff.
- Re-organization of furniture and use of signage in waiting areas and the cafe to encourage social distancing.
- Frequent disinfection of high-touch surfaces.
- Introduction of curbside lab services and check-in for surgery.
- Ongoing monitoring of PPE supply acquisition and usage rates.
- Use of viral filters for patients requiring intubation during surgery.
- Preoperative testing of patients who need elective surgery on the head, neck, or mouth for COVID-19 for surgical clearance.
Yesterday Governor Abbott filed a proclamation extending the disaster declaration in all Texas counties due to COVID-19. Several businesses are preparing to re-open on May 18, 2020 pursuant to another executive order. Those businesses may have their own rules and expectations for customers. Texas Health and Human Services Commission has published health protocols for individuals recommending the following:
- Maintain at least 6 feet separation from other individuals not within the same household. If such distancing is not feasible, other measures such as wearing a face covering, hand hygiene, cough etiquette, cleanliness, and sanitation should be rigorously practiced.
- Self-screen before going into a business for any of the following new or worsening signs or symptoms of possible COVID-19: cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, chills, repeated shaking with chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, loss of taste or smell, diarrhea, feeling feverish or a measured temperature greater than or equal to 100.0 degrees Fahrenheit, known close contact with a person who is lab confirmed to have COVID-19.
- Wash or disinfect hands upon entering a business and after any interaction with employees, other customers, or items in the business.
- Consistent with the actions taken by many individuals across the state, consider wearing cloth face coverings (over the nose and mouth) when entering a business, or when within 6 feet of another person who is not a member of the individual’s household. If available, individuals should consider wearing non-medical grade face masks.
- Individuals aged 65 or older are at a higher risk of COVID-19. To the extent possible, avoid being within 6 feet with individuals aged 65 and older. Individuals aged 65 and older should stay at home as much as possible.
- Avoid being in groups of more than 5 individuals.
Guadalupe Regional Medical Center is committed to providing our community with updated information as warranted during this challenging time.
The HHSC health protocols are at https://www.dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/opentexas.aspx.