Guadalupe Regional Medical Center’s Hospitalists are highly skilled physicians dedicated to the delivery of comprehensive medical care to our hospitalized patients. Hospitalists diagnose, counsel, discuss therapeutic options and prognosis, as well as provide post-acute care options for rehabilitation. Our Hospitalists strive to improve a patient’s life expectancy and overall quality of life.
The benefits of having a GRMC Hospitalist overseeing your medical care during your stay includes:
- Coordination of inpatient medical services with other medical specialties including, but not limited to Cardiology, Gastroenterology, Nephrology, Urology, Interventional Radiology, Neurology and Oncology
- Being evaluated on a daily basis by a Board-Certified GRMC physician with a strong foundation on medical conditions that require immediate attention and inpatient treatment
- Diligent response to patient needs including adjusting home medications and developing an updated care plan based on daily patients needs
- Ordering, reviewing and analyzing blood tests, x-rays, and other procedures to plan the best next steps for patient care
- Overseeing discharge from the hospital, planning and coordinating transition of patient care to a post-acute care setting such as the patient’s home, home health services, outpatient physical therapy, inpatient rehabilitation, skilled nursing facility, or a post-acute care hospital
The day of discharge, the Hospitalists will write a discharge summary, which is sent to your primary care physician with a detailed description of the reason for admission, treatment(s) and procedure(s) performed during your hospital stay, discharge diagnosis and recommendations for an efficient and safe transition of medical care after discharge from the hospital. By documenting these findings, your primary care physician has valuable information regarding of your most recent hospital stay and can efficiently continue your care in the outpatient setting.
To efficiently coordinate, and provide high-value, compassionated health care to hospitalized patient at Guadalupe Regional Medical Center preventing complications and improving outcomes through an interprofessional team approach.
We aim to be recognized as one of the more dynamic, dependable, and elite community hospitalist programs through a commitment to outstanding patient care, satisfaction and culture of interprofessional collaboration.
Get to know GRMC’s Hospitalist Team
Juan Arenas, MD
Dr. Juan Arenas is board certified in internal medicine. He completed medical school and a residency as a general surgeon in Venezuela. After moving to the United States, Dr. Arenas spent two years as a research fellow at Wake Forest in North Carolina, followed by a second residency in Internal Medicine at Texas Tech University.
Rubin Harris, MD
Dr. Rubin Harris specializes in internal medicine and has been practicing in the Central Texas area as a hospitalist for over 22 years. Dr. Harris believes GRMC is a great place to work because of the collegiality of the medical staff, the strong skill sets of the nurses, the engagement of the case managers, the responsiveness to requests and support of administration.
Sarah Lester, MD
Dr. Sarah Lester completed her broad-based Family Practice residency at the acclaimed John Peter Smith program in Fort Worth, completing her years of Texas-based education as a National Merit Scholar, a magna cum laude graduate of Texas A&M, and medical school at University of Texas Health Science Center (UTHSC) in San Antonio.