A serious chronic illness is one of life’s toughest challenges – both for patients and for their loved ones. A specialized service called Lifelong Intensive Family Emotional (LIFE) Care is available both on an inpatient and outpatient basis, providing patients and families extra support and comfort during a difficult time.
LIFE Care is designed to improve the quality of life for patients and their families facing the problems associated with serious or life-threatening illness. The goal is to prevent and relieve suffering by early identification and treatment of pain and other physical symptoms. Treatment also focuses on the emotional and spiritual issues that the patients and family may be experiencing.
For more information or a consultation, please call 830.401.7224.
What is Advanced Care Planning?
This is a process that allows an individual(s) to reflect on and share personal values, life goals, and preferences related to future medical care requiring life sustaining treatment. The documented plan of care provides direction to health care professionals when the person is unable to communicate their own healthcare choices. It is a gift to your loved ones who may have a difficult time during a medical emergency to make choices about your care.
What is invovled in the planning process?
The client/patient chooses an individual(s) to understand, voice and support your health care choices when you are not able. Legal documents that state your health care preferences, where care happens, and who provides it allows family to know and understand your preferred choices when you cannot voice them yourself. A certified Advanced Care Planning (ACP) facilitator is present to assist in completion and submission of all necessary paperwork.
When/Where is Advnaced Care Planning Provided?
It is recommended that the best time and place to complete Advanced Care Planning is before a health crisis occurs.
An Advanced Care Planning facilitator can assist in completing all necessary legal documents while in the hospital, your Assisted Living or Nursing Home resident, or on an outpatient basis at Guadalupe Regional Medical Center Hospital.
Know the Facts about LIFE Care
- LIFE Care is not just for the end of life. It can begin at the start of a serious illness and can be given alongside treatments designed to combat the disease.
- LIFE Care could extend life. People who receive LIFE Care may live longer and have a better quality than people with similar illnesses who do not receive LIFE Care.
- LIFE Care is focused on Advanced Care Planning. An Advance Care Planning (ACP) facilitator is a person who has been specifically trained to help facilitate this meaningful conversation between you and your family regarding your goals, values and beliefs that influence your choices for future medical treatment. Each facilitator has been trained and certified through Respecting Choices ®. During the Advance Care Planning session, you are guided through a structured interview. The facilitator will help you learn how to choose a healthcare agent(s) and will foster a meaningful conversation to arrive at your goals. Our main focus is ensuring your voice is heard throughout your treatment process.
- LIFE Care is available in many settings. It can be received at home, in the hospital, outpatient clinics, nursing centers, and many other settings.
- The LIFE Care team consists of specialists including physicians, social workers, chaplains and other professionals trained for your care, your own primary care physician and health care team continue in your care.
- LIFE Care supports families. As a part of a patient-centered approach, LIFE Care allows patients and their families and friends to make plans through Advanced Care Planning, which reflects their goals and preferences. LIFE Care allows seriously ill patients to avoid stressful trips to the hospital and spend more time at home with loved ones.
GRMC Life Services Interview with Dr. Nolan
All Medical Services
- Critical Care
- Ear, Nose and Throat
- Emergency Department
- Guadalupe Clinic
- Hospitalist Services
- Imaging & Radiology
- Infusion Therapy
- Internal Medicine
- Lab Services
- Maternal Fetal Medicine
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Oncology & Hematology
- Palliative Care
- Pain Management
- Pediatric Dentistry
- Physical Medicine
- Primary Care
- Vascular Surgery
- Wound Care